A variety of influences: Arthur Ganson, Tim Hawkinson, and Shepard Fairey

ARTHUR GANSON


Arthur Ganson has been a really inspirational artist to me for a long time. I was introduced to his artwork when I was in college and was fortunate enough to have a studio visit with him when he came to the school and did  a talk about his work. The visible and elaborate mechanizations he uses to accomplish “useless” tasks makes me think about what actions we take really have value.

TIM HAWKINSON


Tim Hawkinson is another artist I was introduced to in college who has been a major influence to me. I was initially introduced to his work through his kinetic sculptures and interactive instillations which were enough to make me a lifelong admirer but what I really love is how he seems to follow his curiosity where ever it leads him. Some of his more recent works don’t appear to be kinetic or interactive but explore a variety of themes in a very whimsical way.

SHEPARD FAIREY


https://obeygiant.com/images/2014/05/Paint-it-black-HAND1.jpg

Shepard Fairey came to my attention when I was writing my art history thesis my senior year of college. The witty and subversive content of his work appeals to my inner mischievous teenager. As he thumbs his nose at authority figures while elegantly justifying the necessity of questioning the source of that authority. I’m also drawn in by the aesthetic of his prints and canvases. I find the combination of layered images and sharp graphic lines intensely enjoyable to look at.

Comments